01/23/2021 - Board Meeting Minutes

Chinquapin Homeowners Association Board Meeting Minutes

Saturday, January 23, 2021, 9:30 AM

Carriage House, Chinquapin

3600 North Lake Blvd, Tahoe City CA 96145


Directors Present:

Terry Sarvas, Vice President

Chuck Lanham, Secretary

Carl Bertelsen

Haley Packard


Directors Present (by phone):

Steve Giacomi, President

Annie Mitchell, Treasurer

Anthony Miles


Staff Present:

Aidan Miles, WMC

Mitch Packard, General Manager


Vendors Present:

Rich Votaw

Andy Sinclair


Homeowners Present (by phone):

Robin Kelly #162

Charles Quaglieri #32

Brigid Modena #61

Peter Blatman #166



9:30 - Call to Order and Welcoming Remarks


Approval of the meeting minutes of the 11/07/2020 Board Meeting and the 11/07/2020 Executive Session.

Motion to approve the meeting minutes passed unanimously



Open Session  -  Homeowners


Robin Kelly, #62, Concerned about dogs off leash, was charged by two off leash dogs.  Requested regular reminders be communicated to the homeowners about the dog leash rules.  Seve Giacomi will confer with the General Manager and craft a communication to the homeowners.


President’s Report  -  Steve Giacomi


Insurance committee approved the insurance renewal and the new policy is in force as of 12/15/2020.  New contracts with Mitch Packard as the General Manager and WMC for the Maintenance Contract were signed and effective 01/01/2021.  Requested all Board Members review the CC&R’s and submit comments by 2/15/2021 for a possible rewrite of the CC&R’s.  President Giacomi suggested and the Board concurred that the HOA continue with Porter Simon Law Firm to do the CC&R rewrite.



Committee and Staff Reports


Architectural Review Committee  -  Haley Packard

Unit #67, Windows upgrade, approved by ARC at its meeting on 01/22/2021.

Unit #80, Change from wood burning fireplace to a wood burning stove, approved by ARC at its meeting on 01/22/2021.

Unit #105 and #106, Request for change to the entry ways, those requests were denied by ARC at its meeting on 01/22/2021.


Hot Tub Project, Haley reported she had been in contact with Scott Ryan, Architect who suggested contacting Pool and Spa Companies for the design work.  Haley has been in contact with three Pool & Spa Companies which can schedule onsite visits in late spring or summer and she will contact additional companies.  This project is currently in the research phase and will move to the Building Committee with a subcommittee of Carl Bertelsen, Terry Sarvas and Chuck Lanham.


Homeowners Relations Committee - Haley Packard

If the Fourth of July party is back on, will need to research new event caterers, will need two months lead time to secure a new caterer, Board will discuss the Fourth and Memorial day events at the March Board Meeting.  This is the 50th anniversary of Chinquapin.  General Manager will be doing a Chinquapin Newsletter and will send a sample newsletter from another local property to the board for review.






Buildings Committee  -  Carl Bertelsen


Deck Repairs are an ongoing problem and still need additional attention.  Pipe repair behind Units 72-74 is complete.  Cottage One needs additional board up to prevent animal intrusion, this Cottage also has dry rot issues.  Beach Restroom remodel samples are being reviewed for the floor and a wainscoat partially up the wall, doors will also be replaced, will be going out to contractors for bid.  Will also look at an on demand water heater based on contractor input.



Pool, Racquet Sports and Bocce Committee  -  Chuck Lanham


The Water Bottle Dispenser has been installed in the Ice Machine room.  The Tennis Office remodel demo is complete and floor, lighting, storage racks and desks will be selected shortly and reinstalled.  General Manager and WMC are finalizing the contract and scheduling for Tennis Courts 1-3 with a projected start date of early June.  Gen Mgr/WMC will also start the scope/contractor bid process for the repair to the Pool and Play Area Fences.  Lawn replacement in the area above the pool will be completed in the spring as weather permits.




Treasurer’s Report  -  Annie Mitchell


As of Jan 15, 2021, we have $286,825.05 cash in the Operating Fund and have $846,212.97 in the Reserve Fund.


We paid ourselves back $350K on Dec 15, 2020 for our insurance loan.


Delinquencies  We currently have more 30 day delinquencies than usual likely because of the holiday. (McClintock stated this is the case every year).  Treasurer will follow up.  We currently have 3 homeowners who are more than 60 days.


Motion to approve October and November Financial Statements was unanimously approved.


Buoy fees.  Due to the increase in State Lands lease, fees will be higher.  The Financial Committee reviewed and realigned true boat owner costs vs all homeowner cost.


Motion to approve increase in Buoy fees from $990 to $1250 and a fee of $80 per day/$500 per week was passed unanimously.


We plan on doing a reserve study based on recommendation from McClintock accountants and as required by the CC&R’s.  We currently have 2 leads.  Aidan Miles will be passing this project to Mitch Packard.




Grounds Committee  -  Terry Sarvas


Tim Ferrell, Engineer for the Sewer Project was a no show.  General Manager will contact Ferrell, if Ferrell cannot complete the project, will research other engineers to take over the project.


Received a Buoy extension from TRPA to August 1, 2021 for completion of the BMP’s.  Manger/WMC will continue to pursue completion of BMP’s by early summer, will research alternative contractors as necessary.


General Manager will update and circulate the outstanding punch lists


WMC will provide a detailed plan to document the social pathways and their disposition.  New company out of Reno removed numerous dead trees and will return to remove a crane tree near Unit 166.  WMC will work on brush clearing for the upper creek area.




WMC Report  -  Aidan Miles


Boulders will be installed in the traffic island near the creek bridge.  With the lake level down, repairs to the pier have been completed.  The railing installation on the Dollar House Patio area has been completed.  Snow removal has been quiet so far this winter but is projected to pick up the next couple of weeks.  WMC is coordinating with Chase Painting for the spring and fall painting schedule.  Skylights on units #127 and #128 are scheduled to be raised.  Bottle Filler at the Rec Building is complete.




General Manager Report  -  Mitch Packard



Transition to the new General Manager continues.  Gen Mgr is working with WMC on split of responsibilities going forward.  Working on tree removal with the owner of Unit #168.  Also working with the owner of Unit #111 on HOA responsibility for a portion of deck repair that has been completed.




Insurance Report  -  Anthony Miles


Anthony introduced the new insurance brokers and provided a general update on the insurance process in general and new policies that are in place effective 12/15/20.


Andy Sinclair and Rich Votaw, Insurance Brokers for the HOA Master Policy provided a general review of the coverages and carriers for the various HOA Policies that became effective 12/15/2020 and discussed the general state of the insurance situation in California with the recent wildfire seasons.  They reviewed, discussed and recommended that the Board consider a change to the CC&R’s to transfer responsibility for structural property damage to the interior of unit walls and internal fixtures and fittings coverage to each unit owner which can then be covered by the owner’s HO-6 Policy.  This will reduce the HOA’s insurance requirement from approximately $125M to $85M which will result in better availability for the HOA, increased cost effectiveness overall and more equitable cost distribution to the various sized units.


Anthony Miles, Mitch Packard and Chuck Lanham will start the review process for proposed changes to the CC&R’s.


Discussed the current required liability coverage for each boat owner to secure a buoy assignment, It was recommended to increase the current requirement of $300,000 to $500,000.  This coverage requirement will appear on the buoy reservation form this spring.


Motion to increase the required boat owner liability to $500,000 was made and passed unanimously.



President Giacomi adjourned the meeting at 12:30 PM.