September 1, 2018 Final Board Minutes
Chinquapin Homeowners Association Board
Minutes of the Meeting – Final and Approved
Saturday, Sept 1, 2018
Carriage House, Chinquapin
3600 North Lake Blvd
Tahoe City, CA 96145
Charles Quaglieri, President
Terry Sarvas, Vice President
Steve Giacomi, Treasurer
Directors Absent: none
Directors Present via Phone
Annie Mitchell, Secretary
Brad Kohler, General Manager
Tom Kasten Unit 4
I. Call to Order —President Quaglieri Called to Order at 2:01 pm
II. Open Session –
- Tom Kasten thanked the Association for all of the help with his insurance claim from May of 2016 for water damage. The association insurance company took over two years with much difficulty to finalize the settlement. Tom suggested looking at a new insurance carrier and Broker.
III. Approval of the minutes of the 7/21/18 meeting unanimously approved
IV. President’s Report - Charles Quaglieri
- Election Results: The current Board was re-elected without opposition.
- New date for budget meeting is November 17, 2018
- ARC date is October 26, 2018 – Deadline for submittals October 12th
- 2019 Chinquapin Board meeting dates:
- January 26, 2019
- March 23, 2019
- May 25, 2019
- July 20, 2019
- August 31, 2019 (Double meeting – 2PM BoD, 4PM AGM)
- November 9, 2019
- Deck Inspections:
- Dirk Schoonmaker was hired to inspect the last 60 original decks for rot. The Board wants grading assigned to decks as they are inspected in order to prioritize the most serious deck conditions first. Deck infrastructure, planks and overall condition are the main points examined on these older, original decks. There may be a need to have Dirk look at the newer decks as well. Some of them have railing issues that will be reasonable to fix with approximately 95% of these issues being hardware related. The Board discussed the possibility of hiring a design engineer as consultant for certain situations. It is feasible that reasonable fix issues will be addressed by November, where others will need to wait until next spring. Research will be done on the history of work that was done and list of contractors that were used.
- Election of Officers:
- President: Charles Quaglieri
- VP: Terry Sarvas
- Treasurer: Steve Giacomi
- Secretary: Clint Harless
- Grounds Committee: Terry Sarvas
- Pool and Tennis: Anthony Miles
- Insurance: Anthony Miles
- Buildings: Carl Bertelsen
- Architectural Review: Annie Mitchell
- Charles Quaglieri and Terry Sarvas were appointed to the ARC
- Motion to approve Committee Chairman and Committee Members passed unanimously.
V. Treasurer’s Report - Steve Giacomi
- Financial Updates
- Chinquapin received a good review from our accountants. The tax returns are being filed, and there is only one delinquent homeowner. The association has $586,000.00 in reserve. $500,000.00 of the total is in the Charles Schwab account. The association is operating within budget. Steve Giacomi has been in contact with Duespay.com for reoccurring and electronic payment options for the HOA members. The initial set up fee for the association is $199.00. The rates we were quoted are, 2.95% for credit cards, debit card fee per transaction is $29.95, and electronic transfer fee is $2.95. The Board will proceed with the application.
VI. Committee and Staff Reports
- Architectural Review Committee - Charles Quaglieri
- Recommended Fast Track Approvals
- Unit 4: Entry/Walkway Light
- Unit 24: Fireplace Insert
- Unit 28: Window Change
- Unit 113: Deck Rebuild
- Unit 176: Window Change
- Unit 94: Planks 50% HOA will pay for 1/2
- Unit 113: Planks 50% HOA will pay for 1/2
- MOTION to approve the above passed unanimously.
- Recommended Approval
- Unit 44: Deck and Railing Upgrade
- Unit 168: All 3 Decks and Railing Upgrade
- MOTION to approve the above passed unanimously.
- Building Committee – Carl Bertelsen
- Heat tape will be added to selected units. Eight buildings were identified last year for new heat tape installs. One was completed at the end of 2017, and two more are to be completed in 2018, leaving 5 more buildings to be addressed. Brad Kohler has received bids from Tahoe City Electric. Installations will be performed where needed.
- Grounds Committee – Terry Sarvas
- A crew of 3 for 2 weeks for will be hired for the clearing project. Bushwhackers gave the best price on tree removal. Human and building safety, fire danger, dead, and, congested trees are priority. Terry Sarvas will make a recommendation to the board for the tree budget. Average large tree removal is around $1500.00. The price of tree removal is more affected by location than size of the tree.
- Insurance Committee – Anthony Miles
- Skinner Select provides the current insurance program for the association. The location of Chinquapin contributes to the difficulty of shopping for insurance. The forest location, average age of roofs, and lack of sprinklers in the units are what insurers look at when insuring properties like ours. It’s getting harder to find insurers in our area with the recent fire activity in California. There is $210,000.00 in the budget for insurance but we won’t know coverage and cost for 2019 until December.
- Pool and Tennis Committee – Anthony Miles
- We are in great shape with the pool and tennis courts. A new gate was installed yesterday into the metal fence by the bocce courts so you don’t have to go all the way around to get to them. The nationwide pool chemicals supplier Ecolab is a reputable company and we have asked them to give us a proposal.
- General Manager & WMC Reports – Brad Kohler
- Chinquapin is not an easy property to plow due to the nature of the landscape. Brad Kohler and WMC are looking into using a blower for snow removal, which is lighter and easier on the roads. WMC would be leasing and operating the equipment. Gensburg would still be retained and the blower would replace most pick-up truck hours and reduce loader time.
VII. Adjournment -President Quaglieri adjourned the meeting to a short Executive Session at 6:39 PM.
VIII. Executive Session
Approved, November 17th, 2018
Charles Quaqlieri, Chinquapin Board of Directors President